John Bransford?

MiaKalish - LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Mon Sep 27 14:28:36 UTC 2004

This is cool. I am replying Before I see the link, because from your description, the software sounds a bit like what I did with my thesis: pictures, with simultaneous sound and text, in Macromedia Flash. 77.8% effective across populations. In fact, we hit a ceiling, where 25% of the paricipants scored 100%.

I think the arrangements you have with the Tribes are splendid. I am glad the languages are Not For Sale to the public. I think that is sensitive and caring, very Human.

Now I am going to go Check It Out!

Mia

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ilse Ackerman
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 8:25 AM
  Subject: Re: John Bransford?

  Hi Mia,

  Good question -- the indigenous language software isn't offered under the same terms as our other languages. We don't produce indigenous language software to sell directly to consumers. We're contracted by indigenous language groups to produce the software, and they own the final software and can replicate it and distribute it however they wish, whether at cost to their community, or free to their schools, or hosted online for a wider audience. So it requires an initial investment of labor and money, and then the product can be used as widely as desired.

  The software works by immersion because it uses images to convey meaning. Then it uses those language elements as building blocks to introduce further language step by step. There is actually an online demo accessible at the following url. Although there's a form to fill out, it only requires your name and email (not shared with third parties).

  http://www.rosettastone.com/ind/free_demo

  Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be interested in your feedback, too!

  ilse