Fwd: tesol--new tech ideas

Susan D. Penfield sdp at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Apr 5 19:24:36 UTC 2005

Thanks to Garry Forger for this report:

here is some info from the conference.  In particular check out the
cloze reading tool.

TESOL Conference 2005

I attended the 2005 TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other
Languages) Conference on April 1 and 2.
http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/index.asp

Graduate student Paul Lyddon and I provided a brief presentation on the
OLE Board that was very well received. Powerpoint of the presentation is
at http://www.ole.arizona.edu/ppt2/olemarch5_files/frame.htm

The focus of the presentation was on the work that Paul is doing to
establish pedagogical strategies for using the OLE Board in instruction.
Paul is actively using the Board in his ESL class this semester.

Some of the other presentations that were interesting are included here:

The Lesson Plan Builder is a free online resource for creating lessons
plans, mostly focused on adult education courses
http://www.adultedlessons.org/login.cfm?fuseaction=login

Wichita State has an interesting program for online Journal Writing that
they developed.  Unfortunately I don't think it is on the web but the
website of the department that developed it is interesting
http://webs.wichita.edu/ielc-lab/

The journal writing software provides prompts to students on spelling
and grammer help.

A really cool free application for language instruction the Webgapper
http://newtongue.org/webgapper/

Go to the above URL, in the box at the top put in a url such as
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue42/daw/ click on get page button.  This
will put a box at top of the page that lets you retrieve page with
letters missing.  Students then have to figure out what letters are
missing.  If I have not explained that well I can give a demo of this.
This type of exercise is called 'cloze reading'.

There were two people at the conference who have used qtvr to develop
online language tutorials.  Info on the first is at
http://alexwrege.com/files/tesol_2005.pdf  This is his handout but I
could not find the actual module online.  Another is at
http://homepages.utoledo.edu/dcolema/motelzero/student.htm

_______________________________________
Photos from Sonoran trip, paleoarchaeological site March 2005

http://staff.ltc.arizona.edu/garry/terapa
______________________
Garry J. Forger, MLS
Assistant Director
Learning Technologies Center
The University of Arizona
1077 N. Highland Ave
Tucson, AZ 85721-0073
gforger at u.arizona.edu
http://www.ltc.arizona.edu/
Phone 520-626-7761
Fax 520-626-8220

----- End forwarded message -----

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English
   The Writing Program
   Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Ph.D. Program (affiliate faculty)
   Indigenous Languages and Technology
Southwest Center, Research Associate in Anthropology
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721

----- End forwarded message -----

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English,
Writing Program
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
Indigenous Languages and Technology
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona