tech book

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Sat Apr 9 13:06:28 UTC 2005

Mia,

Your book sounds like a great idea. In thinking about it, it seems that a
book about applying technology might be best shared on the web itself. An
ebook abut the application of technology. Also it seems that from exploring
all the wonderful sites you have been sharing in this discussion that a
annotated webliography of resources or where to get them would be a huge
asset to anyone looking for ideas. Finally, why not coauthor or have a place
where people can submit their story of best practices themselves and you be
the editor. This way not only would you be presenting applied usages of
technology but it would be available widely to apply. Might be able to get a
grant for something like this. The book could come later, at least the
compilation of resources would be there.

PS: One of the strengths of this list serve is getting to see all the
amazing work being done. It's the good news you don't here about cultural
and language revitalization.

Jan
Adjunct Professor
Applied Cultural Anthropology
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]On Behalf Of MiaKalish at LFP
  Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 5:19 PM
  To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
  Subject: Re: tech book

  I am thinking of submitting a proposal for a book on Technology and
revitalization/language type applications, but I don't think I sent a
general notice to the list. I can't remember if I saw another email go by
about it.

  It's right now a question of whether I can edit a book while doing the
research for my PhD and finishing my dissertation.

  Also, if I did this book, it would be about how people Applied the Theory.
We have lots of good books on theory, and about how teaching in culture is
more effective than teaching out of culture. Also, we have lots, and lots,
and lots, and lots, and lots of papers and articles about the Possibilities
of using Technology, hence the focus: Best Practices in Technology
Applications for Language and Culture Revitalization.

  best,
  Mia