Deal keeps education in Mi'kmaq hands (fwd)

Mon Apr 18 17:09:21 UTC 2005

Deal keeps education in Mi'kmaq hands

Last Updated Apr 15 2005 04:02 PM ADT
CBC News
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=ns-mikmaq-education20050415

MEMBERTOU, N.S. – Ten Mi'kmaq First Nations have renewed a five-year
deal with Ottawa that keeps education under their control.

The $145-million agreement allows them to deliver both school and
post-secondary programs focusing on Mi'kmaq history, culture and
language.

"I think you're going to find great similarity in terms of the
recommendations that are made for the entire country, in terms of what
you've already achieved here," said federal Indian Affairs Minister
Andy Scott.

Since the Mi'kmaq Education Act was signed in 1999, more than two dozen
Mi'kmaq teachers have been trained and more native students are
completing high school.

The program's executive director, Eleanor Bernard, is happy to be called
a model for the country.

"I know a lot of communities are trying to gain jurisdiction,
educational jurisdiction. That's quite a feat. We could set an example
for them," she said.

Membertou Chief Terry Paul said he believes that if youth know their
culture they'll have more confidence in life.

"It's your identity, your language. Losing the speech is forever. And
I'm going to work hard to make sure we do our best to instill our
culture and our language in our children," he said