Government of Canada Supports Creation of Trilingual Inuit Culture Web Site (fwd)

Fri Apr 22 19:50:49 UTC 2005

Government of Canada Supports Creation of Trilingual Inuit Culture Web
Site
http://www.news.gc.ca/cfmx/CCP/view/en/index.cfm?articleid=140639

MONTREAL, April 22, 2005 -- President of the Privy Council, Minister of
Intergovernmental Affairs, Minister of Human Resources and Skills
Development, and Member of Parliament (Westmount--Ville Marie) Lucienne
Robillard, on behalf of Minister of Canadian Heritage and Minister
responsible for Status of Women Liza Frulla, today announced $50,000 in
funding for Igloolik Isuma Productions. The funds will help to create
"Sila," a Web site about Inuit culture, language, and the Arctic
environment.

"One of our Government's priorities is to highlight the contributions,
experiences, and culture of Aboriginal Canadians," said Minister
Robillard. "The creation of this Web site will allow Internet users to
learn more about Inuit culture and languages, as well as to raise
awareness of the Aboriginal communities' unique place in our country."

"The development of this e-learning resource offers us a valuable
opportunity to learn more about our northern Aboriginal communities,"
said Minister Frulla. "By providing the Inuit community with a presence
on the Net, we are also helping to promote a deeper understanding of
Inuit culture throughout Canada and the world."

The « Sila » Web site will feature an extensive teachers' resource
centre. It will also present a learning zone module that will be
structured along the lines of traditional Inuit culture: watching,
storytelling, listening, and game playing. The Inuktitut component will
help to improve communication among Canada's dispersed Inuit population,
and the French component will address the current lack of
French-language teaching materials on Inuit culture. The new site will
target youth 12 years and older, educators, and parents.

Financial assistance is provided by the Department of Canadian Heritage
through the Canadian Studies program. This program supports the
production of educational material aimed at all Canadians and focusses
on neglected or under-researched areas of Canadian studies.

Funding announced today was provided for in the February 2005 federal
budget.

-30-

Information:

Jean-Philippe Côté
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Minister responsible for
Status of Women
(819) 997-7788

Nathalie Dallaire
Special Assistant