Schools support use of the Wiradjuri language (fwd)

Fri Aug 5 17:22:43 UTC 2005

Schools support use of the Wiradjuri language

Friday, 5 August 2005
http://cowra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=news&subclass=local&category=general%20news&story_id=414058&y=2005&m=8

The Wiradjuri language is sparingly taught in our education system but
Cowra schools believe there is room to boost its profile.  Before 1788
Australians spoke an estimated 250 languages.

Today, more than half of these Australian languages are no longer used.

Forbes North Public School recently announced they had received an
$83,000 grant to teach the language.

The school will employ four Aboriginal tutors who will be trained to
teach the language and then help teachers in the classroom.

Cowra Public School, Mulyan, Cowra High and St Raphael's all said
teaching Wiradjuri would enhance awareness of the culture and promote a
greater sense of belonging for Aboriginal students.

"Where you can lift a students self esteem and increase their feeling of
belonging you can increase the enjoyment of coming to school and
decrease absenteeism," said Cowra Public School Principal Helen Wilson.

"There actually has to be an Aboriginal focus in all that we teach, it
builds a greater understanding of the indigenous culture.

"It is given high priority in our school, the Aboriginal background is
very significant."

Cowra High School Aboriginal studies teacher David Hobson also approved
of the notion.

He said any initiative that promotes a sense of belonging for Aboriginal
people would be an advantage.

"If the language is spoken and taught in schools it raises its profile,"
he said.

"Anything that makes the children feel more a part of the school would
be positive.

"Having the language taught would play a big part in getting
identification and recognition of the significance of the Aboriginal
culture."

Mr Hobson said one of the challenges would be training teachers to speak
the language.

"One of the difficult things is finding people who speak the Wiradjuri
language," he said.

"My concern would be if it was taken on and not delivered properly.

St Raphael's Principal Michael Gallagher agreed suitable resources would
be needed to ensure proper implementation.

"I feel very strongly about reviving the culture and I believe the
language would benefit both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal students," he
said.

"One concern would be the current level of learning resources but once
these are made available I would welcome the inclusion of the Wiradjuri
language in our curriculum."

"Anything which enhances awareness of the Aboriginal culture and
language would be very useful," said Mulyan Principal Rod Patten.

PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER TRAINED

Cowra Public School already has a teacher trained to teach the language.

Joanne Thompson has studied the Wiradjuri language and incorporates the
language into her classes.

Mrs Thompson attended the Wiradjuri course in Forbes during April 2004.

John Rudder and Stan Grant (Snr) ran the course.

Both men have been instrumental in introducing the Wiradjuri language
back into the community.

Since the course Mrs Thompson has introduced the language to her
students at Cowra Public and Mulyan.

As part of the NAIDOC week celebrations students Year 2 sang the
Wiradjuri version of Waltzing Matilda.

The Wiradjuri resurgence has been aided by the release of a Wiradjuri
dictionary.

Here are some Wiradjuri words.

Emu Dhinawan - Thin a wan

Fish Guuya - Goo ya