Revival for lost language (fwd)

Fri Dec 2 17:53:29 UTC 2005

Revival for lost language

By JUSTINE TURNER

Imagine being 75 years old and one of only 200 people in the world who
can speak your language.

[photo inset - EXCITED ABOUT REVIVAL: Alaskan elder Marie Olson, who
holds a Tsimshian or drum, is in Hamilton to learn about revitalising
her country's indigenous languages with Waikato University Spanish
professor Jay Corwin who is wearing a Haida hat hand made by Mary
Haldane.
KELLY SCHICKER/Waikato Times]

–- That's the position of Alaskan tribal elder Marie Olson who has been
brought to the World Indigenous People's Conference on Education in
Hamilton by Waikato University Spanish professor Jay Corwin, in an
attempt to stop an indigenous language of Alaska becoming extinct.

The reason, Prof Corwin said, was because the world was looking at New
Zealand as a leader in the immersion and revival of a native language.

"We need to do this so we don't lose it forever," he said. "We are here
to look at how Maori immersion is working. On television, signs,
everywhere you go it's (Maori) there. New Zealand is where we want to
be in 20 years."

Prof Corwin has worked with the University of Alaska, to develop a
programme in the indigenous language of the region called Lingit. The
programme was designed to give people a qualification to teach the
language.

"The language is on the verge of extinction," said Prof Corwin.

"There are only 200 really fluent speakers left and they're elderly
people. The youngest is about 45, so this programme, which will certify
people to teach the language, is really important."

Once students are trained they need to learn how to teach the language
to others, said Prof Corwin "and that's where New Zealand comes into
play". Miss Olson said in the Alaska she grew up in, it had been
forbidden for her culture to exist.

"They rubbed out our language. Rubbed out social activities, it was
uncomfortable," she said.

"We were spat upon in public if people spoke our language. I'm relieved
that the language programme has started. It's exciting."