Whistling language remains a mystery (fwd)

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Dec 14 15:56:28 UTC 2005

Whistling language remains a mystery

Friday, December 9, 2005 - by Natasha Rasheed
http://www.ktuu.com/cms/templates/master.asp?articleid=2541&zoneid=1

Savoonga, Alaska - There are over 6,800 languages the world. Most are
spoken, but some have a rather unique form of delivery, including
whistling. More than 1,000 miles from Anchorage, in the village of
Savoonga, which is located on Saint Lawrence Island, some claim an
ancient form of communication still exists.

At 89, Ora Gologergen is the oldest living woman in Savoonga. She has
raised a family, seen her children grow and move away and now spends
her days with old friends in a place she loves. Although Gologergen has
never heard of using whistling as a form of communication, she believes
one of her friends, another elder, may know about it. But it was not
so.