Informal Survey of Indigenous Online or Distance Learning Language Programs

jess tauber phonosemantics at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 31 06:52:55 UTC 2005

I for one would like to know more. Lack of funding means it is highly likely that I won't be able to afford many (any??) trips to Tierra del Fuego to help in the revitalization of Yahgan, which is now down to its last completely fluent speaker. At the same time, I've nearly finished digitally scanning almost all relevant documentation on the language (published and unpublished) for use in a set of webpages devoted to the language. There is also a Yahoo discussion list already set up.

So there are plenty of materials available to do this, and the technology. With a small learning community on-the-ground equipment commitment would not have to be large, but organization and training would be vital. As for me, I'm ready to go (literally, figuratively, or both).

Jess Tauber
phonosemantics at earthlink.net