The Blackfeet language will be taught to all tribal staff (fwd)

Fri Jan 28 19:05:05 UTC 2005

The Blackfeet language will be taught to all tribal staff

By John McGill, Glacier Reporter Editor
http://www.goldentrianglenews.com/articles/2005/01/27/glacier_reporter/news/news1.txt

[photo inset - Ed North Peigan is set to begin offering classes in the
Blackfeet language. Part of a new tribal program, North Peigan is
located in the Tribal Conference Room and in Councilman Pat Schildt's
office. Photo by John McGill]

"One Councilman started the ball rolling," said Edward North Peigan,
lead teacher of the Blackfeet language at Blackfeet Tribal
Headquarters. "He wanted the Blackfeet language taught to all the
staff, and he wanted to learn the language also."

The BTBC resolved Dec. 2 to create a Blackfeet language teaching
position in the tribal government, said North Peigan, who has taught
the language at East Glacier Park Elementary, Browning High School and
at Blackfeet Community College. Together with his wife, Wilma, he has
logged many hours of Blackfeet language instruction time. "I'm a native
speaker," he said. "English is my second language. I'm continuing to
struggle with English."

But according to North Peigan, his experience in learning the dominant
language of the United States gives him hope that people can learn
Blackfeet. "If I can learn English, then anyone can learn anything they
choose," he said.

North Peigan said he is using an alphabet given to him by Matthew Many
Hides of Siksika, Alberta, Canada. Being a spoken rather than a written
language, adapting an alphabet that accurately reflects the
pronunciation and diction of the language has been problematic, but
North Peigan is convinced the alphabet he is using is the best.
Furthermore, he believes that the Blackfeet world view is contained in
its language and is a direct entry point to the oral history of the
Tribe.

North Peigan is located in the Tribal Conference Room when it's
available, or in Pat Schildt's office at other times. People may
register for lessons between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday,
and arrange a time, and while the program is aimed at tribal employees,
"it is free to everyone because it's sponsored by the Blackfeet
Language and Culture Department."

Students should expect to attend classes at least once per week, said
North Peigan. Handout information is available at his office.

For more information, call Ed North Peigan at 226-9101, or write him at
Box 248, East Glacier Park, MT 59434.