Berkeley Lab Wins Three Prestigious R&D 100 Awards for Technology Advances (fwd)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Jul 13 16:56:56 UTC 2005

Hi Jan (and everybody),

no, i do not have recordings of Ishi. ;-)  the news article is the one
that had the original mention of new work being carried out on recordings
of Ishi.

my own work with wax cylinder recordings for Nez Perce (Sahaptian) can be
found at my website. http://www.u.arizona.edu/~cashcash
just go to "Research and downloadable papers"

it is pretty basic as i am using commercially available and free audio editing software to digitally enhance the digital
copies (of wax cylinder recordings) that i have access to.  on my webpage
you will find a quicktime movie file containing a Nez Perce speech from circa 1907.  the audio content is
my first attempt to enhance this particular wax cylinder recording.  since
this first attempt i am continuing to make slight improvements.
nonetheless, i created a Flash-based multimedia movie using
Quicktime and in it is contained the enhanced audio with its
synchronous translation.

but in trying to get examples, several enahanced versions of wax cylinder
recordings were sent to me from a professional(or semi?) sound editor and
his attempts were not that great.  while alot of the noise was removed,
they sounded like they were talking through a tin can.  i could easily do
that myself with SoundForge 6.0.  so since then, i have been experimenting
with PRAAT (free audio software) with the help of a classmate of mine here
at the University of Arizona.  nothing spectacular, but if you are interested in the speech
itself and are a speaker of that particular language then it is quite
spectacular.  i think linguists who specialize in sound can do a lot to
help endangered language communities who need these recordings to
revitalize their language.

phil cash cash
UofA, ILAT list manager