Aboriginal languages neglected and endangered: task force (fwd)

Tue Jul 19 20:43:43 UTC 2005

Aboriginal languages neglected and endangered: task force

Last updated Jul 19 2005 10:28 AM MDT
CBC News
http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=aboriginal-language19072005

A task force on aboriginal languages and culture says that more than
half of the 60 aboriginal languages in Canada are endangered while 10
other languages have become extinct over the past century.

The task force, which released a report last week, also found that only
about 25,000 First Nations, Inuit and Metis speak their original
languages.

The group, created by Heritage Canada in 2002 to preserve and revitalize
First Nations, Inuit and Metis languages, made 25 recommendations to the
federal government, including the creation of a language commissioner
for all of Canada.

Another recommendation suggests funding for aboriginal languages that's
in line with what's spent preserving and promoting French and English.
Members are also recommending that federal departments such as justice,
health and human resources provide service in aboriginal languages.

"It took a hundred years to tear our languages down. We are going to
need seven generations to rebuild and strengthen our languages," says
Ron Ignace, the task force chair.

One of the members of the task force from Nunavut, Alexina Kublu, says
the effort comes a little too late, but at least it's a start.

Ottawa has committed $160 million for the next ten years to try to
preserve what is left of the aboriginal languages in Canada.