Huge Dene gathering on tap (fwd)

Thu Jun 2 18:04:22 UTC 2005

Huge Dene gathering on tap

By PATRICK MORLEY
Today staff
Wednesday June 01, 2005
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/story.php?id=164292

Fort McMurray Today — It will be one of the largest Dene gatherings the
world has ever seen.

For co-ordinator Alice Rigney, the K’ai Taile Dene Gathering’s legacy
will speak to, above all else, the importance of preserving a culture.

Rigney is expecting almost 1,500 visitors to show up for the event, set
for July 31 to Aug. 6 in Fort Chipewyan. Hosted by the Athabasca
Chipewyan First Nation, the event will coincide with Alberta centennial
celebrations held in the community.

“Sure, with having a gathering comes all the highlights: the feast, the
celebration, the music, but for the Dene people it is about the
preservation of the language and culture, to connect with the earth and
the people,” Rigney said.

She added the most important issue to be addressed at the gathering has
to be the preservation of the Dene language.

“There’s the underlying fact that we’re losing our language. We want to
address this, so it doesn’t become lost forever,” she said.
Invitations were sent to Dene leaders in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the
Northwest Territories, Alberta and to an Apache band in Arizona who
share the same language.

As well, leaders will discuss common topics that directly affect the
Dene people such as global warming, women and children issues and
natural resources. There will also be talks aimed at founding a
Denesuline Grand Council.

“Power is not secret. It’s for sharing,” Rigney said, referring to the
establishment of the council. “You can break one arrow, but not 20.”
Because the event coincides with Alberta’s centennial, Rigney expects
participants from organizations that are not directly linked to the
Dene heritage.

Rigney and a group of more than 100 volunteers have been working since
September planning the event and so far have gathered 63 caribou, two
buffalo, a few moose and, said Rigney, “fresh fish every day” to feed
the guests over the week.

“When we, the Dene come together, we are known for our feasts made from
whatever is available at the time. This is where you see Dene culture
at its best,” Rigney said.

Organizers submitted a $40,000 request for financial support from the
municipality to help with the estimated budget of almost $1 million.
After reviewing the proposal, the community services department
determined $7,500 could be accommodated from the municipal budget,
along with staff and equipment support. The Kewatinok Community Society
will give a gift in kind of $13,135, along with volunteers, three
vehicles and free use of the community hall. The Fort Chipewyan
operations and maintenance department will contribute staff, equipment
and help.

“It is a group undertaking,” Rigney said. “We can’t do it alone.”