Family Exercise

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Thu May 12 16:37:30 UTC 2005

Ask Dr. Coyote* Answers on food and exercise
http://www.americanindianonline.com/food/index.html

Dear Dr. Coyote: So, in your most respected opinion, why are our Native
kids these days getting so large? Is it genetic, a result of
institutional prejudice or a dominate society placing western values on
traditional people? What gives?

  Response: Face it, our kids are being molded in our own image. We used
to hunt, fish, gather food, chop wood, play games, swim, run, be
outdoors all day, make baskets, travel miles to visit people (on foot
no less) and we lived a much happier and more active life. Now we are
happy if we can figure out how to use the microwave for instant
macaroni and cheese. Get out of your recliner, go outside and take your
children with you. Plant a garden (or get some friends and family and
start a community garden), go on daily nature walks, gather acorns and
mushrooms in the fall, hike, learn to fish with a pole, take up a
sport, coach your child’s team, turn off the television and move.

Leading by example is not the way I Choose to live, but hey, you’re a
responsible parent now and that is your job, not mine. I remember my
friend Raccoon, who lived with his grandmother. She would send him out
to get acorns so they would have food for the winter. On his way up the
mountain to their family gathering site, he would play a stick game
with his friends. Then on the way home, he would jump in a creek and
swim to cool off. Take a clue from Raccoon and figure out how to
incorporate lots of exercise in your daily life. Get active, and make
sure your kids are close by your side.

*Please note that in many cultures, Coyote is the trickster and his
advice should be taken with a grain of sodium reduced kosher sea salt
(his words is intended as humor or parody). If you have any questions
to ask of Dr. Coyote about, diet, health, nutrition or exercise please
email: coyote at ncidc.org

.:.

André Cramblit: andre.p.cramblit.86 at alum.dartmouth.org is the
Operations Director Northern California Indian Development Council
NCIDC (http://www.ncidc.org) is a non-profit that meets the development
needs of American Indians

To subscribe to a news letter of interest to Natives send an email to:
IndigenousNewsNetwork-subscribe at topica.com or go to:
http://www.topica.com/lists/IndigenousNewsNetwork/subscribe/?
location=listinfo