It's kapai that everyday English chat is peppered with te reo (fwd)

Tue May 17 21:25:12 UTC 2005

It's kapai that everyday English chat is peppered with te reo

16.05.05
By JON STOKES
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10125628

Kiwi-speak isn't pakaru, despite the mutterings of some waka-jumpers who
korero on the kumara vine.

In fact, New Zealand's language is just kapai, says Victoria University
linguistic and applied language expert John Macalister, who believes
the frequency of Maori words in everyday conversations is likely to
surprise some people.

His new book, the Dictionary of Maori Words in New Zealand English, goes
on sale this week.

And, while many are words describing indigenous flora and fauna and
place names, he believes the use of descriptive words - aroha, hikoi,
kapai, koha, whanau and tangi, for example - is becoming more common.

"Typically nouns are what we borrow from other languages, but there are
words, such as pakaru, a transliteration of buggered, hapu, waka, mana,
kia ora, and waiata.

"Some of the more descriptive words are hybrid forms, like waka-jumper,
mana-muncher."

The dictionary identifies more than 1000 Maori words that are in common
use - about six of every 1000.

Dr Macalister said that while identifying words was one thing, defining
the word's meaning was difficult and possibly contentious.

For example, pakeha had a diverse range of interpretations and caused
offence to some.

He settled on: "a term for New Zealander of European origin".

The adoption of Maori by non-Maori has flourished in the past 30 years -
driven, Dr Macalister believes, by the growth of kohanga reo, the large
number of Maori living in cities, the recognition of Maori as an
official language, and the increase of the number of high-profile
Maori, including more Maori MPs under MMP.

"This has been driven by a generational change since about 1975," he
said.

While te reo was used more frequently by Maori, and varied depending on
the circumstances people were in, young New Zealanders of all cultures
were more likely to use and understand more.

"Younger speakers show some of the really inventive use of the language,
things like maka-chilly (very cold), mahi for work, mea for stuff."

However, he believes not all will be impressed by his findings.

He hoped his research did not generate the hate mail that followed the
release of similar research.

"Some people will take exception. The way they voice their criticism
says more about their attitudes to Maori and bicultural New Zealand
than my research.

"I see this as very positive. This is about being proud of who were are,
of being New Zealanders. It gives the language greater vitality. This is
unique to New Zealand and helps us to establish our identify.

"When you are overseas and you meet a Kiwi, you can throw in these words
that you know they will understand. It establishes a solidarity."

Te reo expert Naida Glavish, whose refusal to buckle to her
then-employer Telecom's demands that she not greet telephone customers
with kia ora prompted intense public debate, believes the dictionary
shows that New Zealanders are becoming more inclusive.

"It shows awesome growth. It shows Aotearoa's biculturalism is getting
recognised. We have come a long way since 1984."

But Ms Glavish urged speakers not to become complacent.

"It is good growth but we still have a long way to go."

And it is not just in New Zealand that some words are recognised, with
Dr Macalister identifying a number of words now recognisable on the
world stage, such as mana, tapu, haka and hangi.