Scarce resources hobble Dene native language efforts

Mia Kalish (LFP) miakalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Fri May 20 16:17:37 UTC 2005

Hi, Rudy.

Thanks for this really great email describing issues that are not apparent
to huge parts of the world.

I thought I would say what I was doing, and people could check it out.

I didn't know about Ozzie Werner's project, but I will check it out. I do
know that most of the world thinks you can just "translate" stuff. I am
digging deeply into my technological soul to find a way to abstract the
concepts from the language, since if recontextualization doesn't start with
the basics, you don't get a successful representation.

This abstraction is hard because you have to do what Lakoff & Nunez did, and
this takes either a) lots of manual time, or, b) some technology to help. I
am going to do a little (a), to teach my body how to do it, and then develop
some (b), to extract concepts from the language in which they are embedded.

Then, we start with the extension issues that Rudy mentioned. About a year
ago, I sent out email asking whether people knew how many Indigenous
languages had words for common mathematical forms and processes. I got back
a few emails telling me I "could just translate", but almost nothing about
representation of mathematical forms in language. I assumed that there were
several possible explanations for this:
	1. People hadn't thought of the huge amount of mathematics that
Indigenous people had and used (e.g.,  Architecture of the Moundbuilders
(Callusas?), Mayans, Aztecs, petroglyphs, astronomy, calendricality,
counting systems and so on, not only of the people here but in Africa).
Mathematics is pretty innate; Lakoff and Nunez talk about the human
metaphors that allow extension from innate capabilities to an evolving
theoretical and applied mathematics.
	2. Powell's influence had made people believe (an example of a human
metaphor constructing reality) that Indigenous people had no math or
science, and hence words from the disciplines were not reflected in their
languages. So when he put out his prescriptive document of somewhere around
1897, there were no STEM spaces for words.
	3. This idea is an implication from MacDonald and Duff, who
hypothesized that the medicine people traveled around the world sharing
knowledge. It is possible that some of the words died with the medicine
people who were targeted and killed during the colonization. The
mathematical figures are clearly present, in the petroglyphs, in the
calendrical (presumed)triangulations.
	4. Different representational systems (as opposed to 'words for . .
.'): People have argued Sapir/Whorf, although I don't really know why: If
you don't have a sweet potato, you don't need a word for it. I think though,
that what happened with the Hopi time argument is truly (and
ethnocentrically) amazing. Hopi language has all these fine distinctions for
time; they are embedded in the language. So of course, they don't need to be
stated explicitly, as in English. Lakoff and Nunez would see the
White-Males-Are-Superior paradigm derived from early publications as the
metaphor that created a blend where ethnographers and linguists were unable
to conceive of different systems. A consequence of early publications was
the wide-spread belief that there was an evolutionary hierarchy of people,
and everyone was "progressing" up that hierarchy, and a consequence of this
was that analysts assumed that sophisticated intellectual words did not
exist in the languages of people on these postulated lower levels.

I liked your discussion of arbol, Rudy. I had a similar experience with a
mathematician recently. We were talking about building some
teaching/learning materials, and he had simply plopped the term "continuous"
into the discussion. Until I made him look back to find where the term had
been introduced, he didn't realize that he had just assumed that people
(students, learners, the people he was trying to teach) would just "know"
what the mathematical meaning of continuous was. It is absolutely parallel
to your experience with arbol and arbusto.

I think that "an ethnographically-oriented examination of the
native lexicon may be necessary/desirable to raise consciousness as to
the differences between native conceptualizations and Eurocentric ones" in
some form may be an early step of this entire process. Using Fauconnier &
Turner's Conceptual Blending Model, it is necessary to develop the
structures that produce the blends (metaphors). To take a simple example,
choose the blend Word. A 'word' is composed of a) its target (the real
thing: cat, house, tree, bush, burning; not the theoretical "reference"
here); b) how you say the word for it in the target language; c) how you
spell the word for it in the target language if it is written. In CBT, it
looks like this:

	Blend: WORD
	Inputs: Word_Structure (a,b,c, above)
		  Target_Language
			Word_if_Exists
				Spoken.wav
				Text_If_Written

Thus it is implicit in the analysis that you might:
	1) Find things that didn't have words/expressions/ways of
representing in the target language;
	2) "Things" in the target language that have no
words/expressions/ways of representing in English (or Spanish, or French, or
even Russian, Polish or Lithuanian)
	3) Criss-cross of linguistic types, especially state words ('red' in
Apache is a verb, "it is (being) red";
	4) Words that have direct embodiment (a la Lakoff and Nunez), as the
shape suffixes common to Southern Athapascan, maybe others.

I'm sure there are more, but I have written what I hope is a wonderful
treatise in response to Rudy's wonderful message, and I think enough is
enough.

Mia