Indigenous group works towards saving culture (fwd)

Wed Nov 9 17:49:13 UTC 2005

Indigenous group works towards saving culture

Tuesday, 8 November 2005. 11:12 (AWST)
http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200511/1500358.htm?northwestwa

An Aboriginal organisation working to preserve the Yindjibarndi people's
culture has celebrated the launch of four new projects.

The Juluwarlu Aboriginal Corporation in Roebourne, in north-west Western
Australia, engages in cultural and historical recording, publishing and
video and multimedia production.

Last week, Juluwarlu celebrated a new DVD version of AFI winning film
Exile in the Kingdom, a book detailing fauna from an Yindjibarndi
perspective, a digital archiving system and JTV - Roebourne's new
Aboriginal-owned TV channel.

Juluwarlu's operations manager Michael Woodley says its work will be
available for the future generations to see.

"It's ensuring to our elders that their history that they have been
taught verbally is being documented in the format of film, whether it's
DVD or CD-ROM or whether it's a publication and it's good to have that,"
he said.

"I mean, for our young generations once they get more mature and, you
know, more serious about their language and their history then they can
just go to the shelf and pick it up."