Navajo radio picks up NFL broadcast (fwd)

Thu Nov 10 17:55:54 UTC 2005

Navajo radio picks up NFL broadcast

By ED ODEVEN
Sun Sports Staff
11/10/2005
http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=118896

KTNN 660 AM will broadcast Sunday's Oakland Raiders-Denver Broncos in
Navajo. The game begins at 2 p.m.

KTNN covered Super Bowl XXX 10 years ago. That marked the first time a
Super Bowl was broadcast in a Native American language. The station has
also broadcast Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury and Arizona Cardinals in
that span.

"KTNN has been broadcasting as the Voice of the Navajo Nation for the
last 20 years and we're proud to be broadcasting the Raiders game in
the Navajo language," KTNN's program director Jay Allen said.

Oakland Raiders chief executive Amy Trask said, "This presents an
exciting opportunity to unite the Raider Nation. This association is
yet another example of our commitment to our global fan base and our
ever-expanding multi-cultural initiatives."

L.A. Williams, KTNN's sports director who regularly covers prep
football, basketball and volleyball, and 33-year radio veteran Ernie
Manuelito will handle the broadcast duties.

The duo won the 1996 Native American Journalism Association award for
best bilingual sportscasters.

A KTNN press release addressed the question of how basic football terms
will be translated into Navajo.

"This will be a team effort and it's all about describing what's
happening on the field and what our listeners will understand back
home," the release stated.

The Oakland Raiders have broadcast each of their games in Spanish for
the past four years. The team's Web site publishes coverage in English,
Spanish, Chinese and German.

KTNN, a 50,000-watt clear channel signal reaches the entire western
United States and northern Mexico.

Ed Odeven can be reached at eodeven at azdailysun.com or 556-2251.