SIL Bird flu materials (fwd msg)

Sun Nov 13 18:56:08 UTC 2005

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:08:48 +1100
From: "Gerry (Mobile) Beimers" <beimers_pijin at sil.org>
Subject: SIL Bird flu materials

Those of you with an applied language development angle in your creole
work may have a significant interest the following notice from my SIL
colleagues.

Gerry Beimers
Solomon Islands Pijin Old Testament
www.pijinplus.net

 Dear Colleagues,
  IMPORTANT NOTICE  from the SIL International Literacy Department

NOTICE: The following is an abbreviated version of important materials
that are posted on the www.sil.org/literacy website.

AVIAN FLU, BIRD FLU, H5N1, AVIAN INFLUENZA

AVIAN FLU EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS - FREE DOWNLOADS AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE
USE

The materials consist of the following:

Avian Flu Risk & Prevention Booklet (various versions in PDF, Publisher,
and Word)
  > - Avian Flu Booklet - Illustrations only - (35 drawings)
   > - Avian Flu Booklet - audio version
   > - Avian Flu Poster
   > - Avian Flu Fact Sheet
  (See the recommendations for their use at the end of this notice.)

"BIRD FLU" INFORMATION FOR ETHNIC LANGUAGE COMMUNITIES
 The ethnic minority communities we work in are among the highest risk
for
Avian or "Bird" Flu. Yet, as you know, they are least likely to have
access to accurate information about the disease. The threat of a
potential Avian Flu pandemic prompts us to inform ethnic groups about
some preventive measures their communities can take.

More than just millions of wild and domestic flocks will die if this flu
begins to spread among humans. Dr. Dianne Mathews (MD, MPH), an SIL
member
serving in Asia; and Dr. Indarto, the Indonesian veterinarian in charge
of communicable animal diseases for Papua Province, both understand the
threat of Avian Flu.

Following the suggestion of SIL's Asia Area Director, Dr. Larry Jones,
they collaborated to research the topic. Assisted by SIL technicians,
Larry Mathews and Dennis Conroy, they have developed some informative
material on Avian Flu for ethnic groups in Indonesia. The materials
could be easily adapted to other contexts.

A booklet and audio version provides basic risk and prevention
information
in story form, a means that many ethnic groups use to transmit
information.

The master copy of the booklet is diglot (English and Indonesian).
The story text could be translated into other languages. Two sets of
illustrations for the Avian Flu booklet reflect Papuan and Asian
cultures.
However, the line drawings are generic enough to be used "as is" or
modified as needed for African or other ethnic groups.
In other words, this booklet is a "shellbook " and easily adapted.

SIL International and SIL's Asia Area field office are making these
materials available to anyone who wants them as free downloadable files
for translation, distribution, and immediate use worldwide.

You or anyone else may download this material from our literacy website
www.sil.org/literacy

THE FOLLOWING IS THE PERMISSION STATEMENT FOR USE OF THE MATERIALS:

These materials are produced as a service for ethnic communities. Any or
all parts of the materials, including the illustrations, may be copied,
reproduced or adapted by anyone in order to meet local needs, with the
provision that the items reproduced are distributed free or at cost -
not
for commercial profit.

Any person or organization wishing to copy, reproduce, or adapt these
materials for commercial purposes should first obtain permission from
SIL
International. (See Terms of Use for SIL products:
www.sil.org/policies.htm#term )

We feel this Avian Flu booklet is very IMPORTANT - that the communities
we
work in should have access to this information. They are the people at
highest risk to lose flocks and family during an outbreak. They need
information in a language they understand to prompt them to take
preventative action.

We highly encourage SIL and other field personnel to make this a
priority
and facilitate the translation and distribution of the materials. The
audio of course could be made available for local radio broadcasting.
We also encourage you to make copies of the materials available to your
local
Ministry of Health offices and to other health workers.

AVIAN FLU EDUCATIONAL MATERIALS - SIL FREE DOWNLOADABLE FILES
The Bird Flu educational materials available on the SIL Literacy website
consist of the following items. These items may be used "as-is" or
portions may be used to produce locally appropriate materials.

  > AVIAN FLU RISK & PREVENTION BOOKLET
   >
   > ENGLISH TITLE: Terpen Village Avoids Avian Influenza
   > BAHASA INDONESIAN TITLE: Desa Terpen Terhindar Dari Penyakit Flu
Burung