QLD: Wik people capture knowledge on the Western Cape (fwd)

Tue Oct 11 02:56:37 UTC 2005

QLD: Wik people capture knowledge on the Western Cape
http://www.abc.net.au/message/news/stories/s1479436.htm

Source: Traditional Knowledge Recording Project The Traditional
Knowledge Recording Project (TKRP) has joined with people from western
Cape York to ensure the rich heritage of the Wik language groups is
preserved for the future. Using video cameras and a multi-media
database, the knowledge of the elders will be recorded and catalogued
in a manner that maintains the integrity of the cultures oral
traditions. Wik TKRP Cultural Advisor Thomas Toikalkin with the Apelech
traditional dancers.

Founded by Dr. George Musgrave and Dr. Tommy George Snr. from the Laura
basin in central Cape York, the TKRP has spent several years building a
database suitable for storing video files of traditional indigenous
knowledge. The project was looking to share its tools and methodology
with other language groups in the peninsula, and found a willing
partner in Wik country.

The Wik Traditional Recording Project in Aurukun has been recording
events such as house openings and making copies for the families, but a
lack of modern equipment and other support has restricted their
activities. They approached TKRP who, with the help of the
philanthropic Victor Morgan Charitable Trust, have since provided
digital video cameras, playback decks, and a computer with the TKRP
database installed.

What we have in Aurukun are people who have experience behind the camera
and are passionate about recording traditional knowledge, says TKRP
Project Manager, Victor Steffensen. So the essential ingredients are
there. While those behind the camera know what theyre doing, some of
the Wik elders are not as accustomed to being in front of it. This led
Dr. Tommy George Snr. to make the journey out to the west coast of the
cape, to demonstrate how to do a piece to camera.

I show them how we do it you know, talk to the camera in their own
language." said Dr. Tommy George. They'll pick it up quick alright.

In 2003 Aurukun produced a CD Rom phrase book of the Wik Mungkan
language which was recently sold to educational institutions. The
recent upgrade of their audio-visual equipment will allow them to focus
on one of their greatest visual assets.

This area is famous for dance so we have started documenting some of the
dances with an explanation of their significance and history, says the
Wik Traditional Knowledge Project Officer, Daniel Bracegirdle. TKRP has
also been supporting us to begin documenting traditional burning
practices and assess their impact on the country. For many of the
holders of the knowledge in Aurukun it has been some time since others
have taken an interest in the old ways. Anthropologists have been rare
in the region since the 1980s.

Ive been waiting a while for this to happen, says Wik elder Stanley
Kalkeeyorta. We need to pass on what we know about our important places
so the young ones will understand where they come from.

The difference this time is that rather than non-indigenous academics
writing down their interpretation of the traditional knowledge, local
people are now creating audio-visual documents of the information,
presented on location in the original language. As the Wik are
traditionally an oral culture, audio-visual material is far more useful
than text based information. These AV files are managed in the community
and available to the people for whom they have the greatest value.

What were doing is gathering the information on country, delivered by
the individuals with the wisdom and the authority to transfer it, says
TKRP Project Manager Victor Steffensen. This is the way indigenous
knowledge has always been passed on to the next generation.

With many remote communities facing difficulties engaging their young
people in constructive activities, the strength of this project is that
it brings the generations together in a way that values the technical
skills of the young, and the experience of the old.

"A strong sense of identity and to know where you come from is number
one when we're talking about the development of our youth", says
Community Pastor Ralph Peinkinna. "For the young people of Aurukun this
means they have to spend more time out bush, at the outstations,
learning to live off the land again. That's why this traditional
knowledge recording is important for us."

Background: The Wik Traditional Recording Project is supported by the
Aurukun Shire Council and TKRP through contributions from the Victor
Morgan Charitable Trust.

The Wik Traditional Recording Project includes Wik Elders Ralph
Peinkinna, Silas Wolmby, and Arthur Pambegan, as well as Cultural
Advisers Stanley Kalkeeyorta, Thomas Toikalkin, Roxanne Yunkaporta, and
Sharon Ngallametta.

The TKRP is funded primarily through the contributions of private
individuals and philanthropic institutions including The Christensen
Fund (USA). The project is also supported by the University of
Technology Sydney, The Wilderness Society, Telstra, The University of
California and the Natural Heritage Trust (NHT). TRKP is administered
by Balkanu Cape York Development Corporation.

Dancers in the photo right are:

Front L to R, Gabriel Pamtoonda, Selwyn Nanponan, Thomas Toikalkin,
Thaapich Nanponan. Back left to right, Clinton Pamtoonda, Dion
Pootchemunka, Lex Tony Nanponan.