Keeping their language alive (fwd)

Thu Oct 27 17:17:54 UTC 2005

Keeping their language alive

By MelissaNelson
Saanich News contributor
Oct 26 2005
http://www.saanichnews.com/portals-code/list.cgi?paper=28&cat=23&id=517156&more=

UVic program revitalizes First Nations' languages

Virginia Thomas is working hard to help revive her language.

A member of the Tsawout Band, Thomas is participating in a new UVic
program intended to help reverse the loss of aboriginal languages.

The 35-year-old is also being mentored as a language-teacher-in-training
at the Saanich Tribal School.

Her goal is to become a certified Sencoten instructor.

"The language helps us identify ourselves as Saanich people," says
Thomas. "Place names, family names are all in Sencoten. My culture is
important to me, and I really want to understand that."

The Certificate Program in Aboriginal Language Revitalization, a
partnership between UVic and the En'owkin Centre in Penticton, is the
first of its kind in B.C.

Through a combination of summer intensives and electives, it teaches a
range of strategies for reviving threatened languages, from offering
language classes to developing community programs that ensure a
language is used regularly.

Twelve students, including Thomas, participated in this summer's
inaugural session.

"Language is central to cultural identity and strength," says Joy Davis,
Director of Cultural Management Programs at UVic. "This program came
about because we recognized that languages are in crisis, and that we
have the capacity to help."

According to the First People's Heritage, Language and Culture Council,
all 41 aboriginal languages in B.C. fall within the endangered
category.

A language is classified as endangered when there are less than 200
fluent speakers.

Thomas says Sencoten has been taught on her reserve since the 1980s.

Despite the hard work of many people committed to preserving the
language, there's still more to do to make it an integral part of
community life.

Thomas took lessons in school, but didn't speak it at home. She says
she's not fluent.

This winter, UVic has partnered with the Saanich Native Heritage Society
and the Cowichan Tribes to offer language courses in both communities,
for community members and UVic students.

Community members are now eligible to gain qualifying student status at
UVic, allowing them to earn credit for the courses for the first time.

Thomas will put the Sencoten course towards her revitalization
certificate. She says she's honoured to be part of the program and the
teaching at the tribal school.

"I've learned so much about the importance of our language," says
Thomas. "It's deepened my passion to learn it and share it with the
children."