[sovernspeakout] LA Tribes need Aid! Intertribal Council Address and all LA tribes' addresses

David Gene Lewis coyotez at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Sep 13 07:15:41 UTC 2005

Information for those wishing to send aid;

Inter
    >>Tribal Council of La, he told me that the hardest hit of the
    >>Nations were the Houma Tribe and referred me to Brenda Dardar,
who
    >>he said is the Principal Chief of that Tribe.
    >>I just got off the phone with Brenda who said that 3,500 members
    >>were displaced and would need everything in the long run. Most
were
    >>living in the poorest places in New Orleans area. She is now in
    >>trying to locate all tribe members. Most tribe members were
living
    >>in extended family situations.
    >>Most of the homes are still under water. And of course they do
not
    >>know how long it might be before any of them could move back.
Most
    >>of the people are in some kind of shelters.
    >>Let me repeat this, 3,500 Native Americans need our help.
    >>When asked what they needed now, Brenda said, "Number one we
need
    >>all your prayers, that is first and then perhaps something like
    >>Walmart Cards at this time might be very helpful, however in the
    >>future everything would be needed from furniture to cleaning
    >>supplies, you name it."
    >>She also said the only way she has been able to get any
information
    >>to anyone was thru the various Indian Nations and Indian News.
Go
    >>figure.
    >>So, please post this e-mail to everyone you know and ask them to
    >>also post it.
    >>It is interesting how everything goes in circles as this was one
of
    >>the tribes that we met in Washington, DC last year at the march
    >>before the opening of the Smithsonian's Nation Museum of the
    >>American Indian.
    >>For more information about the Houma Tribe please go to:
    >>http://www.unitedhoumanation.org
    >>If you are able to send anything to them, they are opening up
    >>storage to put items in, or send a gift card if you can to: The
    >>United Houma Nation Hurricane Relief, 20986 Hwy 1, Golden
Meadow,
    >>LA 70357.
    >>You can also contact Brenda Dardar at:
_bdr at UnitedHoumaNation.org
    >>Or for further information concerning any of the Nations/Tribes
you
    >>can contact Kevin Billiott of the Intertribal Council of LA.  (I
do
    >>not have this information, but the above person may know how to
    >>contact him.  Liz)

Kevin Billiot, Director
Intertribal Council of LA
5723 Superior, Suite B-1
Baton Rouge, LA 70816
225/292-2474
itclamak at aol.com
* booklet on prehistoric Indians available

at Arnould, Director
Governor's Office of Indian Affairs
Governor's Office
P. O. Box 94004
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9004
225/219-7556 or 800/863-0098
pat.arnould at indianaffairs.state.la.us

Christine Norris
Jena Band of Choctaws, Inc.
P. O. Box 14
Jena, LA 71342
318/992-2717
* summary of Jena Band history available

Earl Barbry
Tunica-Biloxi Tribe
P.O. Box 1589
Marksville, LA 71351
318/253-9767
pat_foster at tunica.org

Alton Leblanc
Chitimacha Tribal Center
P. O. Box 661
Charenton, LA 70523
337/923-9923

Lovelin Poncho
Coushatta Tribe of Louisiana
P.O. Box 818
Elton, LA 70532
337/584-2261
* booklet available

Laura Billiot
United Houma Nation
20986 Hwy 1
Golden Meadow, LA 70357-9998
504/475-6640
or Brenda Dardar
at 504/475-7176
* booklet available

Randy P. Verdun
Chitimacha Biloxi Choctaw of Louisiana

Tommy W. Bolton
Choctaw-Apache Indian Tribe
PO Box 1428
Zwolle, LA 71486
318/645-2744 (home)
318/645-2588 (office)
cate at cp-tel.net
* short history of the tribe available

Amos Tyler
Clifton Choctaws
1146 Clifton Road
Clifton, LA 71447-4015
318/793-4253
* brief history available along with some books

Rufus Davis
Caddo-Adais Tribe
4500 Highway 485
Robeline, LA 71469