Gold-plated CDRs

Brett Encelewski isbae at UAA.ALASKA.EDU
Tue Sep 13 16:58:59 UTC 2005

> i marvel at the kinds of technology we utilize on a daily basis at
the
> university institution.  it is leap years ahead of those in the
native
> community.  i think the best thing that i can do as a student is
raise
> awareness, offer some basic guidance, and help where i can.

Down here, in Kenai, the situation is very similar.  There are many
Tribal Members and Elders that have possession of cassette tapes (or
reel-to-reel) of oral tradition.  They are very protective of these
precious materials.  Part of our outreach strategy is education and
awareness as well--trying to convey to Tribal Members that there
family's privacy can be held preserved just as easily as the materials
can.

BRETT A. ENCELEWSKI
Tribal Archivist
Kenaitze Indian Tribe, IRA

"A people with no history has no past, and therefore no future."
                --Robert A. Heinlen

"Think globally, dream universally."
                --Unknown