Cherokee language soars with new CD (fwd)

Wed Apr 5 19:45:14 UTC 2006

Cherokee language soars with new CD
SMN
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/04_06/04_05_06/art_cherokee_CD.html
The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians tribe is using original music and song to
help preserve the Cherokee native language with a new CD now on sale.
Project Song Bird, designed to motivate people to learn the Cherokee language,
is a collaborative effort between the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Kituwah
Preservation & Education Department and songwriter Paula Maney Nelson.
“Songwriting has been a hobby of mine since my teens. When I was approached by
the Kituwah Preservation & Education Program to submit a proposal for this
project, I was a bit intimidated but decided to go for it,” Nelson said.
The project is designed to be implemented in four phases and will address the
needs of different age groups. The five-song sampler is the first phase and
serves as an introduction to the project and to serve as a model for future
collaborations.
Project Songbird is available through the Museum of the Cherokee Indian by
calling toll free 866.665.7249 or through the Web at www.cherokeemuseum.org.