more flash fun

Jordan Lachler lachler at UNM.EDU
Sat Apr 22 21:21:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

>I tend to concur with Mia on this -- I think it
>is really a great example of how technology can
>offer a clear immersion-style teaching
>environment -- but using English kind of defeats
>that purpose. It might, however, depend on the
>actual goals of the community and, since I know
>nothng about that, nor who the specific audience
>is, I'd like to hear from Jordan more about it...

I suspect English is included because it's not
always 100% clear what each of the objects
is.  For example, when you click on the top of
the house in the first screen and hear the word
<hít>, it seems reasonable to me that some
students would think that means "roof" and not
"house", since that is what they clicked
on.  Unless they then decide to click elsewhere
on the "house", there isn't anything in the
program that dissuades them from their first hypothesis.

There are lots of potential confusions like that...

Does <gán> mean "firewood", or any kind of "wood"?
Does <s'íx'> mean "bowl with fruit in it", "fruit
in a bowl", "fruit", or "bowl"?
Does <x_'aháat> mean "cupboard", "cupboard door",
"yellow cupboard door", or just "door" of any kind?
Does <keitl> mean "dog" or does it mean "border collie"?

While it may seem unlikely that students would
get confused in this way, my experience tells me
that it does happen from time to time, no matter
how clear the material seems to other people.

Clearly, adding English translations is not the
"best" possible solution to this problem -- it
would be better to develop more and better flash
programs which would carefully disambiguate all
the possible meanings.  On the practical side, of
course, that would be extremely time consuming
when compared to simply slipping in some English
to make sure the students are following along.

(I'm leaving aside the issue here of whether, for
instance, <keitl> *really* means "dog", or
whether <gán> *really* means "firewood".  That's
obviously an important, but much more complex, topic.)

In the end, though, the main goal of the program
is just to show people that they can in fact
learn some Tlingit and have fun while doing
it.  And if they feel successful and realize that
language learning doesn't have to be stressful
and frightening, they may just sign themselves
and their children up for some community language classes.

Jordan