more flash fun

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Apr 22 21:38:53 UTC 2006

Okay, so who made it? Are you working at the Sealaska Heritage Institute?

And, would they like to submit for our Global Revitalization Digital Poster
session? It is really very nice :-) And I assume the Tlingit people actually
made it? That would be very, very nice :-) :-)

Thanks, Jordan,

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Jordan Lachler
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 3:31 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] more flash fun

Hi again,

>Does anyone - besides me - think that including English when its
>parenthetical demeans the Indigenous language?

While I understand and appreciate this viewpoint, and even sympathize
with it to some extent, I have not heard this viewpoint expressed by
any community members.  Basically their reactions have been that they
are excited to see and hear their language used on the Web (just like
English is), and to have a fun tool to help them and their kids learn
a few words of it (just like they have for Spanish and French,
etc.).  Given how many other far-less-subtle ways the language has
been demeaned over the past century or so, the community members seem
to prefer to focus on the ways in which the language is empowered by
tools such as this...

Jordan