Names (White Privilege)

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Tue Apr 25 16:54:13 UTC 2006

Thanks for sharing this.  There is also 'Unpacking the White Knapsack' by
Peggy MacIntosh, which I also use.

In my own case, I was born and raised white, but the family I built is not
white, so I have lived on both sides now.  And, though white privilege is
clearly part of who I am, in terms of identity my Ndn family takes
precedence when it comes to things like salary decisions here at the
university, as well, of course, as being a woman.  On occasion I am with a
white group that sees me as white, period.  The ensuing conversation reminds
me of Lisa at the races in My Fair Lady.  But most of my life today is lived
in the borderlands, and my scholarship as well.

MJ