Names (White Privilege)

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Apr 25 19:35:02 UTC 2006

This is a wondrous event, is it not?

Here on the Indigenous Languages and Technologies list, we are actually
talking about how and why bad things have happened to Ñdn people, Ñdn
languages and Ñdn cultures and why white people seem to be totally and
blithely unaware (or in serious denial) that they had anything to do with
it.

One link came through Richard's post  . . .

One of the experiments I did in psychology presented a text on place names
to people who had Masters and PhD degrees, so there could be no argument
about their reading and comprehension skills. In the text, I changed the
expected order of English/other languages by using the local Indigenous
place name in the text, and putting the English name in parenthesis. Do you
know that the participants couldn’t name the places?

The other thing I noticed is that Indigenous names are all about
description, so you might actually have a clue about the place, how it
looks, what you do there. White names are all about people, Brown's Ferry,
Trump Tower, Camp David . . . .

Mia