Names

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Tue Apr 25 20:02:08 UTC 2006

This has been of serious concern to me the whole of my professional life.
Although I only mention it when pressed ‹ because of the viciousness and the
distortions and the ridicule ‹ my theoretical construct of the linguistic
postulate is a way to operationalize the Lee-Sapir-Whorf (Dorothy Lee got
seriously written out) in a way that did not lead to the ranking described
below and in a way that seemed to me to get at what they-all were attempting
to make understood.  It was also a way for me to discuss the languages I was
working with without getting those ranking reactions.  It also takes the
focus off of vocabulary ‹ far too easy a game to play ‹ and onto perceptual
patterns.  And there, if you please to play the ranking game, linearity and
singularity don¹t come off quite so nicely as fat dictionaries do.  Grammar
in so many Ndn languages is so beautiful and complex and can leave the
rankers feeling a bit humble.  Not bad.

MJ
website:  http://grove.ufl.edu/~hardman/