Names

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Apr 26 00:43:12 UTC 2006

Holy-schmoly. You don't happen to have the Whole Enchilada, do you?

I have the whole descriptive part, on flaming orange paper, no less, but I
thought the forms were so lame I wouldn't need them. I copied a few pages
for reference, but now, I would love to have all of them.

For reference: Powell, J.W. (1880). Introduction to the Study of Indian
Languages with words phrases and sentences to be collected (sic.).
Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of David Gene Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 6:32 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Names

Klahowya Tillikums,

I have been looking at the Powell's document for years, yes I agree
this is the case for how he characterizes Natives and the lack of
science and math terms on his form. I'm wondering, has everyone seen
one of Powell's forms, I think I have one available on a PDF that I
can email to everyone, or those who ask. This is part of the Southwest
Oregon Research Project Collection and the PDF was created for the
Smith River Rancheria by Humboldt State University from their SWORP
materials.

Yet another example of how anthropology has biased information about
Native peoples and created stereotypes that live on, probably forever,
in society. Ie: anthropology creating the stereotypical image of the
native as been simple, or recreating the Rousseauian image of the
childlike savage.

Thanks,
David

> I’m with MJ on this. . . especially about the “humble”.
>

> Powell, by the way, for Ann, had no categories for math and science
in his
> document about which words should be collected. Since he controlled
> publication, people who wanted to be published (read “funded”)
needed to