Names (White Privilege)

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Apr 26 14:03:57 UTC 2006

In critical theory, for which my Department of Education is <world?> famous,
the unnamed category is the referent against which all others are compared.
So when you Name the category, then you create a situation with inhibits the
better-worse comparison.

I don't have time today to collect the really good references, because I
have too much to do, but perhaps later.

There is a complex and rich body of literature on the politics of being
white. There is, for example, an interesting piece that discusses the
"whiteness" in a conceptual battle between the Japanese and the Chinese.

Whiteness is political, it is about privilege, it is about expectation,
comparison, rates of pay, writing skills, literacy, fluency, who gets
listened to. The selections Andre sent yesterday really open up some of the
issues around whiteness, but doesn't cover them all. Whiteness has to be
seen through the eyes of people who are "not white". Gloria Anzaldúa writes
extensively on the construction of the Mestizaje; Devon Mihesuah and Linda
Tuhiwai Smith write about research conducted by white people in Indigenous
communities and the damage that has been done. Mihesuah in some of her
edited books, and also people like Vine Deloria, Jr., and Daniel Wildcat
write over and over about how white people restrict the developments of an
Indigenous canon. The rule is that if there are no Indigenous references,
you have to use something else that has been published. Since most "white"
writing is considered outsider writing, and Indigenous people are very
unhappy at having been misrepresented and having their spiritual ceremonies
appropriated - by white people.

Perhaps you should look up some of these writers, and read what they have to
say. You could also look at some of the critical theorists. Sandy Grande
(Quecha) is a Red pedagogist; read what she has to say. Read almost anything
by DeLoria, Jr. Better yet, get yourself a copy of Genocide of the Mind, and
read what the people have to say.

I think if you do this, then the application of the term "white" will move
from a simple labeling to a complex discussional area the encompasses issues
of power, privilege, gate-keeping, suppression, and colonization.

I would like to say before ending, Annie, that my comments are meant kindly.
I have written a lot, some of it very briefly, and I am extremely busy
today, so I apologize in advance if anything sounds abrupt or critical.

Best always,
Mia