(Lee)-Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

jess tauber phonosemantics at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Apr 26 19:39:12 UTC 2006

It is a sad fact that diversity often seems to attract negative agendas, either to be exploited for divisive purposes, or calls for wiping it out in the name of irrational uniformity. Victims justifiably become very wary, when they should be able to celebrate their uniqueness.

Though interested in AI/NLP I cut my first linguistic teeth on the dusty works of Whorf, Sapir, Boaz, Newman, Haas, Reichard and others of that tradition- this experience strongly shaped the way I look at language, despite the best efforts of the formalist purists. As such I at least like to think of myself as an adopted child of the Sapir lineage.

Jess Tauber