2 Congresswomen insist on speaking Quechua in Parliament (fwd)

Thu Aug 10 18:10:49 UTC 2006

10 August, 2006 [ 09:12 ]

2 Congresswomen insist on speaking Quechua in Parliament

http://www.livinginperu.com/news/2277

Two nationalistic congresswomen representing the department of Cusco,
Maria Sumire and Hilaria Supa, announced in a press conference
yesterday to speak only in their indigenous Quechua language during
plenary sessions of Peru's Congress.  They requested a certified
interpreter present at all sessions and sufficient installation of
technical equipment.

Sumire and Supa, members of the oppositional 'Union por el Peru'
alliance, caused problems while taking their congressional oath on July
26 after deciding to do it in native Quechua.

For a moment the situation at the press conference became somewhat
embarrassing. Both delivered their message in their indigenous language
while attending journalists understood nothing. After looking at the
confused faces of his colleagues one journalist got up and said "Don't
worry, I will translate for you”.

"We do not want to be excluded. This is an ongoing abuse,
marginalization and discrimination of our people”, Sumire alleged.

Sumire and Supa base their request on Article 48 of Peru's Constitution
which states: “Peru's official language is Castellano. In areas
predominantly inhabited by indigenous citizens they are Quechua, native
Aymaran and other languages, according to the law”.

“We are going to defend our cultural identity and the rights of our
communities”, Sumire stated.

Supa added that “they think that Lima is the only city. The rest of the
country also needs quality investment”.