NATIONAL: National Indigenous Languages Survey Report 2005

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Fri Feb 3 14:06:17 UTC 2006

We are currently involved in a large project to put online the materials
from my old Aymara project (used to teach Aymara for 21 years) as a
self-taught free-access course.  We use the term 'heritage learner' to refer
to those who parents or grandparents or ... spoke the language but they do
not and they wish to recovery 'their heritage'.  We are making sure that the
material is accessible to 'heritage learners', i.e. that it can be easily
accessed in internet cafes in the mountains and that the material is
understandable. This seems a little different from the uses I've seen here.

MJ