Fwd: 17.552, Media: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!

Joshua Beck jpbeck at UCHICAGO.EDU
Mon Feb 20 18:01:23 UTC 2006

Boy, this is a tough one to believe, although who knows...it's a
captivating possibility!

At 11:29 AM 2/20/2006, you wrote:
>I'm not sure how much I believe this, but it is certainly interesting.
>(The pottery is from South America.)
>
>Barbara Need
>Manager (SS4), Computer Support, Archivist
>

>>LINGUIST List: Vol-17-552. Mon Feb 20 2006. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.
>>Editor for this issue: Amy Renaud <renaud at linguistlist.org>
>>================================================================
>>
>>To post to LINGUIST, use our convenient web form at
>>http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html.
>>

>>===========================Directory==============================
>>
>>1)
>>Date: 19-Feb-2006
>>From: Mike Matloff < michelhoo at yahoo.com >
>>Subject: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!
>>

>>-------------------------Message 1 ----------------------------------
>>Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:35:55
>>From: Mike Matloff < michelhoo at yahoo.com >
>>Subject: 6500-year-old voices recorded in pottery!
>>

>>Description from The Raw Feed (http://www.therawfeed.com):
>>
>>'Belgian researchers have been able to use computer scans of the grooves in
>>6,500-year-old pottery to extract sounds -- including talking and laughter
>>-- made by the vibrations of the tools used to make the pottery.'
>>
>>Here's the link to the video:
>>http://www.zalea.org/article.php3?id_article=496
>>
>>It's only available in French right now, but even if you don't speak French
>>I think you can get the general gist and hear the 'playback'!
>>
>>Mike
>>

>>Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
>>                      General Linguistics
>>

>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>>LINGUIST List: Vol-17-552

Josh Beck
Program Manager & Student Affairs Administrator
Center for Latin American Studies
University of Chicago
5848 South University Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637