Linguistic Matls IN the language of study

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Feb 25 17:25:26 UTC 2006

Thanks, maybe I'll just use these emails from the ILAT list. I'll put it as
"historically there are no . . . but Indigenous People are beginning to
produce contemporary linguistic documents in their own languages".

Thanks so much for the help.
Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of David Gene Lewis
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2006 10:20 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Linguistic Matls IN the language of study

Mia,
When I was in Alice Springs Australia the Arrente people were moving
that direction. I have no references for you but they were producing
in 1998 dual English and aboriginal language texts, with english on
one half of the page and Arrente on the other half. I don't know the
true spelling of the Arrente/Arrende.
David

-------------------
> Hi,
>

> Does anyone know of any cases where the results of linguistic study
of
> Indigenous language have been codified IN the language of study?
That would
> be a grammar actually written in, for example, Navajo or Jicarilla,
rather
> than in English, Spanish, Dutch, Russian, etc?
>

> Thanks for your help. I am currently writing in my dissertation that
there
> are no known cases. . . . I've never seen one, but maybe in Maori?
Hawaiian?
> Quecha?
>

> Mia

David Lewis