LSA 2006

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 15:43:46 UTC 2006

Mia and all,
Your comments are feeding into the distinction I've been emphasizing between
documentation (of major concern and receiving international attention
through OLAC, SOAS, EMELD, etc) and revitalization (still receiving little
attention internationally, though robust and active at  a community level).
The question remains as to how these two 'camps' can better serve one
another (if they should).

This is part of the point I was trying to make on Sunday at LSA -- If one
works in a community, with all the technical expertise available for
documentation, and does not envision or consider how their work may impact
local revitalization efforts -- its a problem (I think I said
'irresponsible') ....As field linguists, we must make sure that our work on
documentation (using all the 'best practices' which were the subject of
Jeff's session) is supportive of the community's efforts. This requires a
second set of 'Best Practices' -- still being defined -- for working with
communties (actually, I think we should think in terms of working FOR
communities --a step beyond working 'IN' or even 'WITH' ) ...

That said, I'm leaning toward proposing a session focused on products (the
type Mia is developing) not techniques for data collection (Jeff's thing).
The Lakota Language Consortium (winners of the Ken Hale prize from SSILA)
are making some amazing materials. I think a session that asked participants
 1) share their products and
2) discuss the theoretical underpinnings -- i.e. STEM in Mia's case and
3) discuss the type of community
connections/support/interactions for implementation of these products
...might be really interesting to present to linguists.

This could be done as a techie-poster session -- or  a regular session with
individual papers....either would be good. The LSA poster session on
Endangered Languages this time was very rich (I thought)...

OK -- that's my two cents...
S.