"In", "for", or "with"? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Cunliffe D J (Comp) djcunlif at GLAM.AC.UK
Thu Jan 12 09:39:01 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Arriving at this from a different (computing) perspective, "buy-in",
"ownership" (which I guess are "with") and ultimately "empowerment"
(which I guess is "without" - without us!) are all important and highly
topical concepts and factors in successful systems. However it is not
always clear how you put these fine principles into practice.

I was wondering if anyone here has read "Decolonizing Methodologies:
Research and Indigenous Peoples" by Linda Tuhiwai Smith? I borrowed it
very briefly from another library and never really had time to read it
properly. It looked like there might be some useful ideas in it, though
a lot of the contextualising discussion went over my head somewhat :-)

I would be interesting in hearing other people's opinions or any other
recommendations along similar lines.

Be seeing you.

Daniel.