'In', 'for', or 'with'? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Thu Jan 12 15:46:20 UTC 2006

Hi, Annie,

I appreciate your viewpoints, I really do.

But I sit in classes here in the Southwest, and I hear people talk about how
there "used to be" Indians. They also talk about "how Columbus discovered
America," as if there were not hundreds of millions of people here.

Not everyone has the opportunity to have contact with Indigenous people, but
they still vote, create ideas, write, learn and share. Without others to
write the books that these people will read, without people to make the
arguments, to point out the abuses and how they have hurt, these people Will
Never Know. And they will continue to believe that all the Indians are in
the Smithsonian. They will believe that the North American continent was
empty. They will believe that going to South America and taking the plant
materials, and the knowledge of the people there is "discovery," that they,
themselves have made it, and that those Indigenous people who shared their
knowledge are "less than" human, have been "discovered" and are therefore
not entitled to benefit from the efforts like they are.

Without people writing, this is what we have. . . . Writing is how people
far away begin to learn what we are thinking, and seeing, and feeling. Do
you know for a long time people believed that animals didn't feel because
they couldn't/didn't communicate their feelings like humans? Do you know
some people still believe animals don't feel?

Without writing, without sharing, without exchanging knowledge, this is what
we have.

Without the Smiths, it is difficult for me to make an argument in some of my
classes, in some of my papers. To me, and others who fight the gatekeepers,
who fight for learning materials that reflect Indigenous knowledge, culture,
and ways of learning, without the Smiths, without Devon Mihesuah and Vine
Deloria, Jr., without Daniel Wildcat and others who struggle and write to
construct equity for Indigenous people, I would be lost.

People do learn from books. People without hearts, without sensitivity,
people who are selfish, who are all about themselves, can learn from books.
They can learn by sharing the experiences of people who they will never meet
in person.

I'll tell you a story. It's about "love".
	Once upon a time, there was a person who very much wanted to learn
her language. She went to school and struggled to find ways of making
learning the language easy and fun for adults like her. She met some other
people and worked with them, and came up with some things she thought were
really wonderful. She went back to her Tribe, and said, Look at these
wonderful things I have. I want to share them with you so we adults can
learn our language and speak with our families.
	And the Tribe had a linguist who "owned" them. And they went to him
and said, Look, someone is making things that move and make sounds so people
can learn. He convinced them this was bad, that they wouldn't get the money
if they let her share these things. . .
	And so the Tribe turned against her, and wouldn't let her share her
beautiful materials, built with love and dedication, built with a sense of
Tribal belonging.

	And so she went away, to find others who might be interested  . . .

Mia