Affordable digital recorder advice

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Tue Jan 31 17:59:01 UTC 2006

Aloha e Mia, I'd like to add a couple of thoughts, as some who as worked
in a recording studios, though lacking experience in field recording...

I've frequently heard the "warmth" of analog recording touted by some
artists and engineers, though when I recorded people in both formats
simultaneously and played them back, nearly all preferred the digital. For
me the added clarity of digital, as well as lack of hiss and the artifacts
added by Dolby and other noise reduction schemes, make my ears happier.

When looking at digital recording and frequencies, you also need to take
into account the Nyquist limit, which states your sampling rate must be
twice that of the highest frequency that you wish to record. While this is
less of an issue with spoken voice than music, you should try to locate
equipment that can record at a frequency rate twice that of spoken voice.
It's not really an issue these days; most will record up to 22k-44k,
though devices designed specifically for spoken voice may not. What you
will hear if you record something that is in the frequency range beyond
that limit is a flanging-like effect in those ranges. While frequencies
below the limit are not affected, and can be a bit annoying to hear that
effect hovering over the entire recording.

HTH,

Keola

Indigenous Languages and Technology <ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> ma Monday,
January 30, 2006 ma 10:18 AM ua käkau ‘o -1000:

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/