Affordable digital recorder advice

Naomi Fox naomi.fox at UTAH.EDU
Tue Jan 31 22:43:26 UTC 2006

I may not have read all the messages in this thread, so I'm not sure if someone
has already brought this up, but you might consider recording directly to a
laptop. For some circumstances, this is ideal--cuts out the download time and
gives the opportunity to make a copy of the recording for immediate return to
the speaker. If you have a decent sound card and an iMic (about $35) hooked to
a microphone to clean up the signal the quality can be quite good. You can also
carry this equipment for use as a backup in the event of equipment malfunction
if you use another device as your primary. The Vermont Folklife Center has a
good description of the process at
http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/res_audioequip.htm#v.

Best,
Naomi

--
Naomi Fox
Center for American Indian Languages

Quoting Mia Kalish <MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US>:

 I guess the upshot of all this is that I don't think people should be made
 to feel bad because they can't afford high-end equipment.

 I loved Keola's musician's analysis. He's right about the Dolby hiss :-)

 And I agree that there are lots of recording options. But I think also what
 has come out of this discussion is that there are lots of considerations,
 lots of available technology, lots of things you can do with the recordings,
 and lots of people who will use the technology and the recordings.

 Keola mentioned sampling frequencies: # of bits is related to sampling size;
 it is also related to how fast materials will download. I've noticed that a
 lot of the sites I see don't seem to worry about how long it takes a sound
 to make it down to the listener. People also use Windows Media format which
 is InCreDibly SLOW. . . . (aaargh). Every time to open a sound, it has to
 open that high-graph interface. . . . Recently, I couldn't download the new
 Windows Media Player because there was something wrong with the signing in
 the internal configuration. So I could hear the Welsh on the BBS site. . . .

 Mia

   _____