Buffet, Gates, & the future of linguistic diversity

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Jul 5 17:36:30 UTC 2006

A thread is a task; being able to do lots of them at the same time is a
through-put benefit.

A mutex is a relatively simple kind of lock; that's why threads are
terminated on mutex locks. It means someone else has it, and the current
requesting thread can't get it, so it needs to end. It's how we do data
protection.

Mia

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Charles RIley
Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2006 6:26 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Buffet, Gates, & the future of linguistic diversity

For what it's worth, I shudder to think what would happen if Gates were
actually
left in charge of the future of linguistic diversity.

My blue-screen-of-death this morning, for example, told me that a thread of
my
kernel had terminated on a mutex, or something to that effect.  Haven't
really
recovered from the shock of that yet.

Chuck Riley