Imaging Voices of the Past (fwd link)

Mon Jul 10 03:45:00 UTC 2006

fyi,

Thanks to Rudy Troike for providing me both a source and copy of the
following program at UCTV.  It is extremenly interesting and well worth
viewing if you are interested in advanced sound restoration technology.

Unfortunately, the video on-demand version (via realplayer) is a bit
blurred due the compression format and you may not be able to see some
of the powerpoint graphics and text too well (that is, if you have a
slow internet connection).  These are all clearly visible on the DVD
version which Rudy so generously copied for me.

Perhaps in the not too distant future we may see sound restoration of
78s,  wax cylinders, etc. containing endangered or extinct language
samples.

Anyway enjoy,
Phil Cash Cash
UofA

~~~

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Summer Lecture Series
http://www.uctv.tv/series/index.asp?detail=detail&showID=11024&number=41

Imaging Voices of the Past: Using Physics to Restore Early Sound
Recordings

Physicist Carl Haber and colleagues have found a way to digitize
century-old recordings believed to be unplayable, and as a result, some
of the music and spoken word recordings in the Library of Congress
collection may spring back to life. Learn how basic scientific research
done at Berkeley Lab may yield results of benefit in other areas of
science and culture.