Fwd: [sovernspeakout] Fwd: Associated Press Talks About NATV and Nightwolf

David Lewis coyotez at UOREGON.EDU
Thu Jul 20 14:22:52 UTC 2006

-
From: Michael Gardner <sittingcrow1 at yahoo.com>

  Jul 18, 5:06 PM EDT
  Group hopes to launch first American Indian cable channel
  By DIONNE WALKER
Associated Press Writer
  RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Flipping through TV channels, Jay Winter Nightwolf noticed something: While blacks, Latinos and other minority groups had niche cable networks, American Indians had no national TV outlet for their issues - everything from tribal sovereignty to language preservation.
  The Washington-area radio personality has joined a group of Virginia broadcast journalists and other media professionals to launch Native American Television, joining a handful of groups racing to establish the nation's first American Indian cable channel.
  NATV, which the group hopes to launch by year's end, will feature programming aimed at the nation's indigenous tribes: News specials and cooking shows, films and historic documentaries, video of drumming, powwows and even stand up comedy.
  A program tentatively titled "Meet Native America" would mirror NBC's "Meet the Press," bringing together a panel of Indian journalists to interview Capitol Hill lawmakers. "Talk to Native America" would explore issues like economic development in Indian country, Nightwolf said.
  "It's gonna run the full gamut," said Nightwolf, a Cherokee Indian and weekly host of "The Nightwolf Show."
  "We can see the culture, the history, the issues, the everyday life - the smiles and the frowns - of Native Americans."
  While a handful of tribes have set up regional channels in the past, a cable network would be a first, according to a spokeswoman at Native American Public Telecommunications.
  At least two others haven't gotten past the planning stages.
  Indian Country Today on TV would be a televised version of the popular Indian newspaper by a similar name. The New Mexico-based Native American Television Network includes reality TV and talk shows on its proposed lineup.
  American Indians in Film and Television estimates that of 41,000 acting roles cast in 2004, roughly 100 were filled by Indians.
  NATV was founded in 1990 by the late Charles Kaster, a Washington-area freelance videographer, said Randy Flood, executive director of NATV.
  Using his basement as a studio, Kaster trained Indian youth for careers at broadcast stations and someday, at his all-Indian channel, Flood said. Kaster died of cancer in 2002, before he could expand his training program and begin broadcasting.
  Flood estimates it will take $3.7 million to launch the channel, money he'll raise through tribal sponsorship and federal grants.
  "BET has its own network and Univision appeals to Latinos (but) there's nothing for Native Americans," said Flood, who, like Kaster, is not an Indian. "We want to be able to create a vehicle for tribal communities."
  But breaking into the cable market is easier said than done, said John Mansell, a Fairfax analyst with Kagan media research firm.
  Creators of Black Entertainment Television and the Latin-infused Univision - cornerstones of the ethnic channel market - both entered during the '70s and '80s, while the industry was young, Mansell said.
  Now the market is saturated, and cable companies are wary of adding a channel unless it's a sure hit, he said.
  "How many new subscribers is a cable operator going to get by putting out a small niche Indian channel?" Mansell said. "These are questions that the cable operators consider."
  Flood hopes to give his company a leg up with a built-in staff of reporters.
  Each year, about 30 students aged 18 to 24 will spend eight weeks training in studio production, web development and journalism as part of NATV's Washington Semester program.
  "The goal is to set up a cable TV network that addresses all Native American issues - but also to train our own reporters and our own editors," said William Butler, president of the Columbia School of Broadcasting, which will provide the program's curriculum.
  "It's a long way down the road."
  ---
  On the Net:
  Native American Television Inc., http://www.natv.org/
  © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

  Your Tax Deductible Donations Are Needed To Fund This Endeavor.  Please be generous in you contributions.  Together, We Can Make This Much Needed Native Programming Happened.  Thank You In Advance.
  Jay Winter Nightwolf

  WPFW 89.3 FM - Pacifica Radio - "The Nightwolf Show - The Most Dangerous Show On Radio" - The Truth About What Really Happened To The American Indian - Sunday Evenings from 8 - 9 online at http://www.WPFW.org

  This message brought to you by The American Indian Injustice Group: