Info Request: Online Learning Best Practices and Language Teaching at a Distance?

Jan Tucker jtucker at starband.net
Sat Mar 11 14:59:56 UTC 2006

Collaborative Learning in Asynchronous Learning Networks: Building Learning
Communities http://web.njit.edu/~hiltz/collaborative_learning_in_asynch.htm

Invited Address at "WEB98" Orlando Florida November 1998, Starr Roxanne
Hiltz, New Jersey Institute of Technology Copyright, 1998

ABSTRACTOne of the potential negative effects of online courses is a loss of
social relationships and of the sense of community that is usually present
on a traditional campus. Evidence is presented that collaborative learning
strategies, which require relatively small classes or groups actively
mentored by an instructor, are necessary in order for Web-based courses to
be as effective as traditional classroom courses.

________________________

Here is a paper for beginners to online teaching that emphasizes the
importance of the different roles of the instructor in online teaching, and
the importance of the learning community. I have read studies that compare
learning online to face-to-face learning, so I know they are out there. At
the time this was written the information was inconclusive. From my
understanding a well designed and delivered online course is as effective as
a face-to-face course when best practices in course design and delivery are
implemented. The online learning deliver must incorporated the strengths of
the medium which are the collaborative learning aspects. Clear directions,
and continual monitoring and feedback from teacher to student, and student
to student interaction is part of  a well designed learning environment.
Instructors who employ constructivist learning theory promote learning which
in my view and others that is equal if not superior to :sage on the stage"
kind of lecture, notes test of face-to-face.

The problem as I see it is that institutions are in too quick to buy
software, assign instructors to teach without the necessary training and
regular evaluation of faculty on best practices. I've been teaching online
now since 1998. I started by training myself. Luckily for me I had a mentor
who'd built his own online software and was writing his dissertation on
collaborative learning in an online environment. My first attempt was was to
Dr. Chorost's software as an online component in my face-to-face class. His
software The Collaboration Center at University of Texas, Austin [Mike
Chorost, 1998] and the constructivist learning theory of teaching gave me a
chance to see how my students learned face to face versus how they learned
in the class room.

Right away it was clear that those students who sit in the back of the room
and say nothing now had a voice in the class. Remember at this time most
students were computer illiterate and much of what I did was to teach them
how to fill in a form online, get an email address, use a discussion board
in a scholarly manner and search the WWW. I still have to teach students how
to discuss topics in a scholarly manner  at the beginning of each term, so
the the dialogue is more than a chat. Having had this opportunity to observe
students learn and see the improved quality and quantitative of peer to peer
dialogue as well as total class participation added a dimension to online
learning I hadn't anticipated nor experienced in the face-to-face class
room. This is clearly the strength of online learning, the teacher
facilitated peer-to-peer interaction. This requires some change of teaching
strategies and some instructors need training in how to do this. Students
need training also, as they take on new roles and become more active rather
than passive learners. Students become mentors, and collaborative learners,
and instructors become facilitators learning to ask higher level questions
and let go of some of the control they are used to. Students will surprise
you when you give them a voice. Often their replies would have been what I
would have said in a discussion, and when I've waited and not jumped in to
reply a student has done so very effectively. Clearly creating an online
learning community where students aren't afraid to express their views, ask
questions, and share their knowledge and have a little fun doing it is
essential to success in an online classroom.

The weaknesses as I see online learning is that it is predominately a read
write kind of environment. The challenge is to integrate other technology
when possible.This is where Mia's work is essential. Mia is creating the
interactive Media that is essential to support a well designed and
structured learning environment. I accomplish this integration now using
WebCT and Blackboard software, and by using textbooks that come with CD's,
and companion websites that offer visual and auditory components,  adding
websites that have interactive learning components such as tutorials,
practices quizzes, audio vocabulary, and flash games.

Another weakness I believe is that some learners are not mature and
responsible enough yet for this method of learning which requires more time
on task, and more discipline, and the individual must be highly motivated to
learn. For adult learners, motivated to learn online learning can be very
effective, comparable to face to face learning in my view when the an
instructor is trained in online course delivery and effective learning
theory. It is important at the start of any online learning experience to
give the students an opportunity to discuss the difference, and share their
experience in face-to-face and online courses. Often the experienced online
learners give helpful advise to the newbies and the mentoring and community
building needed for promoting quality online learning and positive
experiences for students begins at this time.

 Now language teaching is new to me, so I'd advise those wanting to teach
language online to talk to others doing so. I'm sure that online teaching
best practices will apply and that there may be other things that I'm not
aware of and I hope that those on this list will share best practices in the
teaching of language online. I offer a few questions,

When teaching across large geographic areas with few resources what are your
alternatives?
How can online delivery enhance and promote revitalization even if it has
weaknesses?
What are the strengths and weakness experienced by those teaching and
learning at a distance now?
What are the barriers to implementing language learning at a distance?
What are the advantages to implementing learning at a distance?

Jan