Call for Digital Language Revitalization Submissions

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Mar 25 15:43:19 UTC 2006

Dear Friends and Colegas:

This year, at the Study of Indigenous Languages (SSILA) 2007 Conference, in
Anaheim, CA, we will have a Global Revitalization Technology "poster"
session.  The session is different in that it will be composed entirely of
digital media presentations. It is also different in that media will be
submitted and the creators are not required to attend the conference as they
usually are when presenting a paper. We believe this will allow more people
from around the globe to participate.

I am the primary chair, and Sue Penfield will be assisting on an
as-available basis. This new poster session is occurring because at SSILA,
2006, there were several to many presentations on revitalization this year,
and on the ILAT list at U. Arizona, people have been talking about how we
need more of it.

This is how we see it working:

1)       People working in revitalization from around the world send their
presentations, examples, and demonstrations, either as digital media or over
the internet.

2)       We would put them in a carousel style Flash movie that would let
people select individual presentations to listen to and see - a little like
the displays in music stores where people can listen to the albums.

3)       We would also project them onto a larger screen in rotation so
people could see them from far away. We might have head phones so we
wouldn't broadcast across the poster room.

Because the conference will be in Anaheim, we anticipate excellent technical
support. We are looking for digital movie formats, although Powerpoint with
video and voice-over is very acceptable. The purpose is to showcase how
technology can be used in revitalization, and how we as a community are
using it. We also encourage presentations in local languages.

It would be nice if people would share this on their listservs and with
others working in the field.

If you have questions, comments, and proposals, write to me at
Mia at LearningForPeople.us.

Media submission deadline is Monday, November 20, 2006.  (We need time to
put things together and test the sequences.)

Mia