Unlocking the secret sounds of language

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Mon May 8 20:02:32 UTC 2006

Definitely in the neighborhood of my reaction.

Also -- what I call a 'deficit grammar'.  By listing all the stuff a
language does NOT have one learns precisely nothing.  I kept wondering all
through the article what the people *have*.  At the very end there is just a
hint that they do have all kinds of interesting stuff.  But that is not
where the interest is.

In my teaching I prohibit 'deficit grammars'.  E.g., what would we thing of
English if we said that English has no data source marking, English doesn't
have human/non-human, English doesn't have object incorporation, English
doesn't have sentence suffixes ...  They tend to get the picture.

MJ