Unlocking the secret sounds of language (fwd)

Jan Tucker jtucker at STARBAND.NET
Tue May 9 13:04:55 UTC 2006

In this article what caught my attention was that the only reason that was
given for attending the "night school" was said to be getting together and
popcorn and the reason for not attending was the concern that Everett was
writing down the language [apparently not approved of by the people]. A
clear preference for not doing so seemed to be expressed here YET the
"missionary" now "ethnologists" is going back to bring in other's to
"collect, process, unravel, unlock". Everett has clearly suggested that the
Pirahna stopped coming because of their concern for having the language
written down. I think I'd take that as a serious determent against further
"extractions".

Jan

-----Original Message-----
From: Indigenous Languages and Technology
[mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]On Behalf Of Richard Zane Smith
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 1:42 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Unlocking the secret sounds of language (fwd)

yes fascinating of course
but what i find even more fascinating are these anthropologists!
studying the Piraha mind like some NEW specimen,
some unexplored mental territory to seize
to collect,process,unravel,unlock, and file data on,
to "reduce" another language to ink and paper writing
and to wage proper war against any leading professors theories
from within their lofty ivory towers of academia
to proclaim the LATEST cutting edge conclusions
yes
very interesting critters these anthropologists
i might have to get my own bug jar out
and collect a few of these anthros.
do a few experiments...
hmm...what happens when you pull this?