Unlocking the secret sounds of language

Richard Smith rzs at TDS.NET
Tue May 9 16:23:05 UTC 2006

These are really insightful responses
I'm glad others are weighing these accepted practices
of members from this intrusive academia

I'm no linguist so I have a question.
Does the "lack" of a word for something mean it does not exist for a people?
I know where my "knee" is...but because the place behind the knee is unnamed
(except for some surgeons lingo) Does that place not exist?

Would people who have no words for past tense
be forced to live in a collective amnesia?

Will they then not "remember" the anthropologist when he visits again?
Just because they don't use past tense verbal expression?
If a child comes smiling and says: "you have popcorn?"
Wouldn't this mean its another way of expressing memory or past tense?

Maybe I'm not properly awed by Academia
I guess I just wonder sometimes
If the new sciences are not just refined systems of conquest
and ultimately...control.
richard