Preserving a language

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun May 14 21:53:42 UTC 2006

http://www.record-eagle.com/2006/may/14native.htm
Author preserves dying language

Over 1,000 words translated from Odawa to English

BY CRAIG McCOOL

mccoolrecordeagle at sbcglobal.net

 Special to the Record-Eagle/Kevin Johnston
Ray Kiogima, co-author of the book "Odawa Language and Legends," the
Odawa Bands Governmental Center in Harbor Springs.
HARBOR SPRINGS — Ray Kiogima rarely gets a chance anymore to talk
with others in his native language.

The number of people who speak Odawa has dwindled over the years.
Now, Kiogima said, you could count on a single hand the number of
locals who are fluent in the old language.

"In the tribe, we've probably got four people besides me," Kiogima
said. "I used to enjoy talking Odawa to people who were fluent in it,
but they die off."

Kiogima, 73, an elder with the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa
Indians, has done something about it, recently publishing a book
containing Odawa/English translations of more than 1,000 common words
and hundreds of phrases. The book, "Odawa Language and Legends," is
the culmination of decades of work.

It is the only known instance in which the regional Native American
language has been translated to English. Kiogima broke down the Odawa
words — historically spoken but rarely written — to their syllable
sounds, then transcribed them, phonetically, into English equivalents.

Ah-nee, for example, means "Hello." There is no Odawa word for
Goodbye, Kiogima, said. The closest thing is Bah mah pee: "Later."

The language of the Odawa people is apparent everywhere in northern
Michigan. The word Cheboygan, for example, comes from the Odawa
phrase Zhah boo guhn, or "The way through."

But while traces of the language are ever-present, the heart of the
language is dying, said Carla McFall, who runs the Little Traverse
Bay Band's language preservation and revitalization program.

"Ray's generation is the last generation that is fairly fluent,"
McFall said. "This is the very last chance" to preserve the language.

Kiogima — Ki means 'land'; Ogima means 'boss' or 'ruler' — lived
as a teenager in Harbor Springs with his grandmother, who spoke
little English and insisted her grandson become fluent in Odawa.

"She told me right out that if I was going to live with her and talk
to her, I was going to talk Odawa," Kiogima said.

His five brothers also learned Odawa, but only Kiogima retained the
knowledge into adulthood. He taught his own children a few words, but
realized that, by-and-large, the younger generation would never learn
the language.

"I thought, if we can write it, we can preserve it, and that's what I
want," he said. "It's always been a dream of mine, to have it written
down. We want to get it to the younger crowd."

Preserving and resurrecting the language is important, said McFall.

"A people is defined by its language," she said. "Without it, we lose
a lot. Not just the language, but culturally as well."

Kiogima offered an analogy: "It would be like a person without a home
or a man without a country," he said. "He would be lost."

Translation?

"Kah mah-buh duh yah zeen gojibi wah daht."

"This man has nowhere to live."